Continuing down our annual review, seen through the prism of our own words, what – you might ask – happened in August?
We’re glad you asked. Here’s the events that captured our attention.
- The month kicked off with a gaming scoop as Deon got chatting with South Africa’s only pro-gamer, PandaTank Botha. Can you make money playing videogames? Apparently, if you’re good.
- Adam, meanwhile, was counting trees. Or, at least, he was meeting people whose job it is to do that as they figured out the actual value of greenery to the Gauteng economy.
- With Women’s Day approaching, we asked a guest columnist to fill us in on the problems facing female IT workers in South Africa. There’s plenty of issues discussed over here.
- Christo was playing with cars. Christo is always playing with cars. This time it was the South African-desiged Toyota Hilux that would go on to compete in the Paris-Dakar rally.
- And finally, the month was rounded off with a visit from Free Software advocate and lifelong activist, Richard Stallman. Here’s a video (in FSF-friendly format) of him talking at Wits.
And with that, we wish you a merry Christmas. We’ll be taking a proper break tomorrow. See you on Boxing day.
Did we miss anything important in August? Remind us in the comments section below.