Like digital stuff? Want to use your skills and knowledge to do good in the world? Like the idea of organising data hackathons and project managing citizenship apps? Have a burning desire to work with the country’s top journalists and media houses to make some awesome things in the run up to the general election?
You’ll love this – Justin from the African Media Initiative sends word that Code for South Africa and the Praekelt Foundation are looking for a new “Transparency and Governance Coordinator”. The job title might sound dry, but if you read the job description it’s an opportunity to lead a brand new ‘CitizenLab’, which is being set up at Jozihub in Stanley Ave, Johannesburg, and work with globally recognised organisations like the Open Data & Democracy Initiative and the Open Knowledge Foundation. You’ll also liaise with the local chapter of Hacks/Hackers (of which I’m a member).
If all that means nothing to you, this probably isn’t the job for you. If, on the other hand, you recognise all of those names and realise that this is a chance to do some really cool and important stuff with mobile tech and those data deep-dive skills you’ve been honing, then get your CV ready.
From the job description, highlights of the job include:
- Manage the CitizenLab desk and its resident teams / projects at Jozihub, in close coordination with Praekelt Foundation and Code4SA.
- Manage a minimum of four annual Code for Democracy hackathons, at Jozihub and mirror venues elsewhere in the country.
- Help grow partner organisations, such as the local chapters of Hacks/Hackers, the Open Data & Democracy Initiative (ODADI), the Open Knowledge Foundation, etc, by providing logistic, networking and marketing support for their meetups, workshops, projects, and campaigns.
- Manage a micro-grant and tech incubation programme for social entrepreneurs and civic start-ups.
- Help build a broad-based ‘active citizenry’ movement by developing relationships with additional organisations working in the transparency and governance space.
- Help develop concepts for additional digital projects in the transparency and governance space.
Application details are over here.