The fact that a Galaxy S5 Mini is on the cards should not be a surprise to anyone considering that the previous two generations of Samsung’s flagship smartphone, both the Galaxy S3 and S4, had scaled-down versions of themselves. In fact it was around this time last year that the Galaxy S4 Mini was announced making the news of an incoming Galaxy S5 all but a formality.
Samsung have officially announced the watered down version of the full-sized Galaxy S5 for those looking for something a little bit more compact, or even just cheaper than the flagship smartphone. The Galaxy S5 Mini has the same outward appearance as its larger counterpart which, given its naming convention, makes perfect sense.
The Galaxy S5 Mini specifications include:
- 1.4GHz quad core processor
- 1.5GB of RAM
- 16GB of expandable storage (up to 64GB with microSD cards)
- 8 megapixel main camera and 2.1 megapixel front facing camera
- 4.5 inch 720p Super AMOLED display
- 2100mAh battery
- Connectivity includes: LTE (for the LTE model), Bluetooth 4.0, 802.11n WiFi
- The same fingerprint scanner and heart rate sensor found in the Galaxy S5 proper
- Android 4.4 with the latest version of TouchWiz
The Galaxy S5 Mini also sports the same IP67 dust and water resistance of the flagship, but the microUSB port at the bottom of the phone does not have the same (rather annoying) cover that the Galaxy S5 needs to keep the port dry and the phone operational – it’s simply left open.
It’s also good to see that the display of the Galaxy S5 Mini is now at a respectable 720p HD resolution instead of the frankly poor 540×800 display of the S4 Mini last year.
The Galaxy S5 Mini will be available in the same four colours that the S5 is available in, namely Charcoal Black, Shimmery White, Electric Blue and, yes, even Copper Gold.
We are currently checking in on local pricing and availability for the S5 Mini and will update the story as soon as that information becomes available.