It’s been one of the most talked about (and hated) app updates since Facebook forced everyone to download Messenger. It’s the new ‘read receipts’ on WhatsApp which shows two blue ticks when someone has read your message and even goes as far as telling you the time that the message was read.
If you, like so many others, are less than pleased about the latest addition to WhatsApp’s feature list then there might just be some hope. The latest build of WhatsApp for Android (version 2.11.444) includes the ability to turn off read receipts – in the same way that you can turn off your ‘last seen’ status – so that your read receipts will no longer be visible to anyone, nor theirs to you.
Here’s how to turn off the two blue ticks:
- In WhatsApp go to Settings —> Account —> Privacy
- Scroll down to ‘Read Receipts’ and uncheck the box
If you don’t have this option yet, then you’ll need to download the latest version of WhatsApp either from the Google Play Store or from the official website if it hasn’t been distributed through the Play Store yet.
Here’s how to make sure you have the latest version of WhatsApp:
- In WhatsApp go to Settings —> Help —> About to see your version number. You need to be on version 2.11.444 or above to be able to turn off the read receipts.
- Check Google Play for an update to WhatsApp.
- If there’s no update then go to the official WhatsApp website (whatsapp.com) and download the latest version of the app.
- To install an app that isn’t from the Google Play Store you need to enable apps from unknown sources to be installed:
- Go to your phone’s Settings —> Security
- Find ‘Unknown Sources’ and make sure the box is checked
- Find the ‘WhatsApp.apk’ file in your downloads folder and click to install.
- Go back to your settings and disable apps from unknown sources
- Turn off the two blue ticks using the steps above.
And now you can enjoy using WhatsApp without the stress of people knowing when you’ve read their messages.