Six women African women running startups in various sectors have been announced as the finalists for the She Leads Africa 2015 Entrepreneur Showcase.
She Leads Africa organisers competitions and fellowships for women entrepreneurs in Africa with the aim of boosting female businesses on the continent.
The finalists were chosen from over 400 applications from more than 30 countries that were submitted after entries opened in May this year.
These six ladies will now go up against each other at a pitch showcase to be held in Nigeria next month:
- Louisa Kinoshi – Beauty Rev NG: An online shop that sells a range of beauty brands
- Ngozi Opara – Heat Free Hair Movement: Manufacturers of virgin hair exclusively made to blend with African textured hair
- Imoteda Aladekomo – Heels in the Kitchen: A cooking show that also incorporates fashion styles and trends
- Brenda Katswesigye – InstaHealth: A company that connects patients with doctors and healthcare information on their cellphones
- Kambili Ngozi Ofili-Okonkwo – Kamokini: An African swimwear and accessories brand
- Kasope Ladipo-Ajai – Omo Alata Foods: Producers of Nigeria’s first National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) approved 100% organic blended peppermix
To help the finalists prepare for the showcase, they will receive guidance and support from experienced young professionals in venture capital, finance and business development.
The first prize winner will receive $10 000 (around R120 000) and direct access to potential investors and business support. The first runner up will receive $5 000 while the second runner up will walk away with $1 000. She Leads Africa will also invest $50 000 between $25 000 into two startups respectively.
Last year, Cherae Robinson who runs the Tastemakers Africa app won the She Leads Africa competition.
The She Leads Africa 2015 Entrepreneur Showcase takes place from 25th to 26th September.[Source and image – She Leads Africa]