If you want to buy a GoPro without having to sell your kidney to raise money, up until now this has meant making peace with not having features that are present in more advanced and expensive models.
The list includes the ability to capture action at 60 frames per second at 1080p resolution and being able to use your phone as a remote.
Well if you’ve been eying up the more advanced models while seething with envy, rejoice! GoPro has announced the latest camera in its lineup, the GoPro Hero+, and it’s an entry-level unit that brings 60fps/1080p recording and WiFi/Bluetooth connectivity to the low end of the company’s popular action cam range.
It’s priced at $200 USD which converts directly to around R2 800, and will apparently be available worldwide from the 4th of October via “authorised retailers around the world and on GoPro.com” according to GoPro’s official release.
The previous entry-level camera, the GoPro Hero which sells at Cape Union Mart for R2 199 as of this writing, only shot 1080p footage at 30fps and didn’t have any wireless connection options. Now, for only a little bit more than the Hero costs, you can get those high-end features that enable you to use your phone as a remote control and viewing station, and transfer video files to and from the camera over WiFi using GoPro’s smartphone/tablet app.
Sadly, the pounding the rand is taking and its current weakness against the dollar means you’re looking at a price closer to R3 000 than R2 000, but that’s still a good sight cheaper than the GoPro Hero4 Silver, which currently retails for around R6 300 and offers similar functionality.
Here’s a list of all of the Hero+’s most pertinent features:
- Stunning and immersive 1080p60 and 720p60 video
- 8MP photos with Single, Time Lapse and 5 Photos-per-Second Burst modes
- Built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth® connect to GoPro App and Smart Remote
- Rugged, durable and waterproof to 131′ (40m)
- Integrated camera + housing design
- QuikCapture enables power-up and recording start with the press of a single button
- HiLight Tag lets you mark key moments while recording
- SuperView™ captures the world’s most immersive wide-angle field of view
- Auto Low Light mode intelligently adjusts frame rates for optimal low-light performance
- Built-in microphone
- Wearable and Mountable, Compatible with GoPro’s vast array of mounts and accessories
If you’d like to get a little inspiration from all the cool things people do that warrant owning an action camera, head over to the GoPro website and watch a few of the promotional videos.[Source & Image – GoPro]