The ANC’s official Joburg Twitter account has announced that Jacob Zuma is to be recalled as the president of South Africa.
The announcement came via a series of tweets posted on the account @ANCJHB this morning. The tweets have since been deleted.
Three tweets posted just before 12pm said that the decision was taken during an National Executive Council Meeting (NEC) held last night and that the announcement would be made during a meeting which – it said – was scheduled for 11am today.
Before you get too excited, though, the tweets were quickly removed (luckily we nabbed a screenshot of them in time) and their removal was followed up by a statement announcing the account had been hacked and the tweets were untrue. And since the meeting mentioned is likely to be the National Workers Committee (NWC) – not the National Executive Committee (NEC) – get together that was held last night and will be discussed in a press conference at 1pm today it certainly doesn’t look like a reliable source for information about the Presidency.
[Image – CC by 2.0/World Economic Forum]
We note that someone has hacked into our account and posted that the President has been recalled..it’s not true
— ANC Jozi (@ANCJHB) December 15, 2015