The smart mirror concept seems to be all the rage with the community on image hosting site Imgur, and now another project has been revealed by one of its users.
But, unlike the TV/Raspberri Pi version we featured last time, this one is much easier to make.
User ineptech (real name Nick Hall) claims that the only skills you’ll need here are: being able to hang a picture and configure an app.
The key here is a cheap Android tablet placed behind a two-way mirror. The most arduous part of the project was creating an app for the tablet to run, which displays time and date, calendar reminders, temperatures and more.
Luckily, Hall has done this work for us and created the Wall Mirror which is free to download on the Google Play Store.
Here’s how to make your own smart mirror:
- You’ll need a cheap Android tablet. The one in this project is a used nexus 7. Whatever you get, make sure it fits behind the two-way mirror and inside the frame in the following steps.
- Install the Wall Mirror app and configure it to display what you want. If you need help with that, check out this Github page.
- Next, you’ll need a two-way mirror which is the same size as the frame you’ll get for step 3.
- next, you’ll need a frame which fits your mirror and tablet.
- You need to indent the tablet into the back of the frame. This project accomplished it by creating a back out of cardboard with a hole cut out for the tablet to fit into. The mirror should sit flush against this.
And that’s it, you’re done! Your final task is to figure out how to keep the tablet juiced up (so you don’t need to utter the ridiculous phrase; “I need to charge my mirror”).