South Africans won’t have to travel far to get a taste of space, thanks to the Gateway to Space: The Exhibition, which will be coming to the country this year.
Visitors at the exhibition will be able to see models of Sputnik 1 (the first satellite), the Lunar rover, a space shuttle cockpit and more.
There will also be real space food (no word yet if there are any taste tests…) and rocks from the moon. All in, there will be 60 vestiges from space exploration as well as interactive displays.
Gateway to Space: The Exhibition details
- Date: 1st June – 31st July 2016
- Time: 13:00 – 17:30 on most days.
- Place: Sandton Convention Centre (Directions in Google Maps)
- Entry fees:
- R180 – Regular price
- R150 – Pensioner price
- R130 – Family of four (four tickets at R130 = R520)
- R120 – Children younger than 18
- Buy tickets at computicket
- Gateway to Space: The Exhibition dedicated site
If you’re a student or adult hoping to use the Gateway to Space as a learning experience (and a really, really cool one at that), there are provisions to get your groups in cheaper as well as dedicated guides, timeslots and bus accomadation. See more details in the education section of the site.