CryEngine – the game engine from Crytek that features in games such as Crysis, MechWarrior Online and Star Citizen – has teamed up with Humble Bundle to bring you a grab-bag of assets to use in creating your own game.
The Humble Bundle Twitter account claims that this bundle contains “over 20,000 files that cost millions of dollars to make”, so you’re getting quite the deal for the maximum price of $13 (R207.33).
If it’s not directly apparent, you won’t actually be buying games here, but rather pre-made components for creating games. While it does contain the game Nexuiz and some examples to get you going, this is more for developers than players.
If this all looks good to you, but you don’t actually have access to CryEngine, no problem. The engine has a lot of subscription models that fit into even the tightest indie dev budget.
- Free Tier – Subscribe to the Humble Bundle Newsletter
- Campfire Asset Pack
- Tier 1 – Pay $1 (R15.95 ) or more:
MoCap Animation Pack – Basic Military Rifle
Plants & Shrubs
- Environment Props
- Prototyping Kit
- Textures, Decals & Visual Effects
- MoCap Paintball FPS – Starter Project
- Tier 2 – Pay more than the average ($11.02 [R351.18] at the moment) or more:
- Audio Kit
- Vehicles Standard Edition
- City Pack Standard Edition
- Weapons Pack
- Ryse Nature & Animal Pack
- Crytek Formula Racing – Starter Project
- Nexuiz (game)
- Tier 3 – Pay $13 (R207.33) or more:
- Illfonic Survival – Starter Project
- Ryse World Building Pack
- Ryse Roman Pack
- Vehicles (High Quality)
- City Pack (High Quality)
- Characters & Animals
While game development is challenging, anyone can do it. To illustrate this point we recently covered some games made by an 85-year-old grandpa. You read that right, your grandparents could be wireframing animation right now and you wouldn’t even know it.