Hackers have been relentless in their attacks on the Gauteng online #Admissions2017 site, with attempts seeing a 2746% increase just seven days after the site went live.

This is according the Gauteng Department of Education and the MEC of Education, Panyaza Lesufi who revealed this information today.

Gauteng online admissions, which is hosted on Vodacom’s servers, recorded 13 hacking attempts just hours after the launch last week Tuesday.

By yesterday, on its seventh day, it had recorded 370 attempts, all of which were successfully thwarted.

The department said it’s still trying to sort out issues with error messages popping up while parents are trying to apply for their kids.

Over 370 000 parents have managed to successfully apply on the site and been assigned waiting list numbers. Pretoria Boys High School received the highest applications at 1 821, followed by Afrikaans Hoer Seunskool at 1 804, Pretoria Girls High, Sir John Adamson and Mondeor High all over 1 000 applications.

“We have overwhelming evidence that South Africa has chosen online application and manual application is dead and buried,” Lesufi said.