If you thought that the upcoming Assassin’s Creed movie will have fantastical battles in 15th Century Spain, with assassins leaping all over the screen, you might be right. Just don’t expect it to be the focus of the film.

While the movie is likely something many Assassin’s Creed fans have been looking forward to, it was recently revealed that only 35% of the film will be set in Spain, with the other 65% playing out in modern times.

“There are certain things that we absolutely want to respect in the game. [But] this isn’t a video game that we’re making. We’re trying to make a cinematic experience, so there are new things that we have to introduce,” Assassin’s Creed star Michael Fassbender told IGN.

I don’t know about you, but that sure does put a damper on things for me. Especially since the first trailer that was released last week showed off many amazing 15th century assassin battles. I’d like to see much more of that, thanks, than modern times goings-on.

As any AC fan will know, that is a stark departure from the games, which take place primarily in the memories of the assassin character with only the occasional foray into modern times for context.

According to IMDb, the film puts Michael Fassbender in the role of Callum Lynch, as he “explores the memories of his ancestor Aguilar and gains the skills of a Master Assassin, [discovering that] he is a descendant of the secret Assassins society.” And yes, the Assassins will be taking on the Templars, just as in the games.

I and the rest of my htxt.africa colleagues still go and see it, of course, but this latest news of how it will split its time between the two settings has us a bit nervous.

The movie also stars Jeremy Irons and Marion Cotillard, and is directed by Justin Kurzel. It is due out later this year.

[Source – IGN]

 

Charlie started his professional life as a motoring journalist for a community newspaper in Mpumalanga, Charlie explored different journalistic angles since his entry into the fast-paced world of publishing in 2006. While fostering a passion for the arts, Charlie developed a love for technology – both which allowed him to serve as Entertainment and Technology Editor for an online publication. Charlie has since been heavily involved in consumer technology for various websites and publications. He thoroughly enjoys World War II films and cerebral documentaries; aviation; photography and indie music. Oh yes, and he also has a rather strange obsession with collecting coffee mugs from his travels.