Ten Capetonian startups have been picked for the first round of the Seedstars World Competition.
The winner of the first round will then compete against startups from Soweto and Durban for a shot at representing South Africa on a global platform.
Seedstars World is an international seed-stage startup competition for Eastern And Central Europe, Africa, the Middle East, Asia and Latin America.
Startups from around the world compete in local city and regional competitions, where three are selected to compete to be crowned their country’s winner and represent it in the final Seeedstars Summit against other international winners to stand the chance of winning a $1 million prize (around R15 million).
The competition hosts three tours in South Africa, in Durban, Cape Town and Soweto and 10 city regional semi-finalists are picked from each one.
The following 10 will pitch their startups in Cape Town where one will make it through and compete against the Durban and Soweto winner:
- Crew Pencil: An online crew booking and diary service for the film industry that allows diary, bookings and invoicing all in one.
- AirSME: An on demand platform that helps SME’s access and compete in the tender market by providing instant access to skilled individuals.
- Britecamp: A platform where employers can employ and pay socially trusted individuals within the lower skilled labour market.
- Carerott: An online mentorship community that tailors to students from disadvantaged backgrounds.
- Farmboek: A dynamic online platform that can house the entire agricultural industry and connected industries in a structured easy way.
- iMobiMama: A mobile pregnancy and retail services that operates as a mini-franchise.
- Pargo: A convenient logistic solution that lets customers collect and return their parcels at a local store when it suits them best.
- The Student Hub: An EdTech company that delivers tailored content, tools and systems for students to get homework done and preps them for their exam.
- WumDrop: Wumdrop allows people to pick up and drop off anything with the click of a button.
- Tribal Tourist: An online travel agency for all adventure related vacancies
The Cape Town pitch event will be hosted this Friday, 27th May in partnership with Standard Bank at Workshop 17.
“Year over year, Cape Town is bringing its best foot forward and showcases the incredible variety and diversity, but also quality of companies that are being built right here in Cape Town,” Marcello Schermer, Seedstars World Regional Manager for Africa said in a statement.
“In order to provide local entrepreneurs with this opportunity and aiming to deliver the best possible event, Seedstars World is closely working with Standard Bank as we continue to support entrepreneurs with their growth and development needs through incubation programmes in Johannesburg, Durban and Cape Town,” added Jayshree Naidoo, Head of the Standard Bank Incubator.