South African cleaning services startup, SweepSouth, has just added Durban to the list of cities where anyone can request domestic services.

Launched in 2014, SweepSouth offers customers the opportunity to book, manage and pay for cleaning services from their mobile phones

Durban is the fourth city in which the service is launching, following Johannesburg, Cape Town and Pretoria.

“Expanding to Durban has been on the books from the get-go, and we’ve been working hard behind the scenes to interview and register a top quality team of local cleaners – or, as we call them, SweepStars,” SweepSouth CEO and co-founder, Aisha Pandor, said in a statement.

In the past year, the startup has created work opportunities for over 1 000 experienced cleaners. Of those, the 71% were previously unemployed, with the remaining 29% citing underemployment as the reason they joined the platform.

“By tapping into new markets and empowering cleaners to take on multiple or supplementary jobs, we are facilitating the employment of more people, in far less time, at a higher wage,” Pandor said.

Last year, SweepSouth was selected as the first South African startup to join the 500 Startups incubation programme in Silicon Valley, US. It also recently won two PriceCheck Tech & Ecommerce awards.

To book a home clean, customers can go to the SweepSouth website or download any of its apps.