Ecuador allegedly cut off Julian Assange’s internet access
Wikileaks has ammounced on Twitter that Julian Assange’s internet access has been cut off by Ecuador.
It was previously alleged that Assange’s internet link had been “intentionally severed by a state party” but Wikileaks said in the early hours of this morning that it was Ecuador itself who had blocked Assange’s ability to access the web.
“We can confirm Ecuador cut off Assange’s internet access Saturday, 5pm GMT, shortly after publication of Clinton’s Goldman Sachs speechs[sic],” Wikileaks alleged in a tweet.
The cut-off came shortly after Wikileaks published three transcripts of speeches Hillary Clinton was allegedly paid to give by Goldman Sachs. Those speeches, the BBC reports, showcased Clinton’s friendly relationship with the bank’s executives, which could harm the candidate’s relationship with liberal democrats who feel she is already too friendly with Wall Street.
The speeches also reportedly reveal that Clinton wanted America to secretly intervene in Syria in 2013, after she left the office of Secretary of State.
Assange, who was once known as Mendax, has been holed out in the Ecuadorian embassy as an asylum seeker since 2012. Assange is wanted for questioning in Sweden over allegations of rape but fears leaving the Ecuadorian embassy and being extradited to the US to face questions about Wikileaks.
Wikileaks has said that contingency plans have been activated in reference to Assange’s internet block. What these plans are and whether they grant Assange internet access is unclear.
It is not yet clear why the internet access was cut off by the embassy but an Ecuadorian government spokesperson was quoted by the Guardian saying, “We don’t respond to speculation circulating on Twitter. Ecuador will continue to protect Julian Assange and uphold the political asylum granted to him in 2012.”[Via – BBC]