Uber Joburg is extending a helping hand to residents in the Alexandra township devastated by last Wednesday’s flash floods, which destroyed many homes and resulted in a toddler being washed away by raging waters.
Uber has created a temporary vehicle view called UberCOMMUNITY that will allow Joburg riders to request a car that will collect a donation for Alexandra residents and deliver it to them.
The company is encouraging riders to donate items such as general toiletries, baby products, sanitary pads and non-perishable food items. No cash will be accepted. Donations must be bagged or boxed and clearly marked
“Every donation, regardless of the size, will make a huge difference to those affected,” Uber said.
Uber will collect all donations and arrange to have them dropped off at the Disaster Management Centre at the Sandton Fire Station, where they will be sorted, packaged and distributed to those in need.
How to donate:
- Open the Uber app on today between 11am and 3pm
- Set the destination > Sandton Fire Station/Brandweer
- Select “UberCOMMUNITY”
- Request a vehicle as usual
- When the driver arrives – please meet him at your pick up point with your donations
- There will be no charge for donating via UberCOMMUNITY
Uber will be collecting from areas around Alexandra, including: