Every year Valve hosts the best Dota 2 teams in the world as they compete for a slice of a gargantuan prize pool in The International.

With 31 days and some change left in Valve’s crowd-funding initiative to grow the amount of money teams will be competing for, the prize pool currently sits at $20.8 million.

Any way you slice that it, that’s a lot of money on the line and there’s sure to be more contributions in the next few days. Why? Well for The International 2015 and 2016 Valve released Immortal Treasure 3 on the 70th day of crowdfunding, today marks the 69th day of crowdfunding.

Dota 2 prize pools over the years. Click to enlarge.

The 2017 prize pool is now well clear of last year’s prize pool which amounted to $20.7 million and miles ahead of the $18.4 million prize pool that was offered up in 2015.

Last year’s competition saw newcomers Wings Gaming defeated DC (both teams were considered underdogs) and claiming $9.1 million.

This year the 18 teams vying for glory are OG, Virtus Pro, Evil Geniuses, Team Liquid, Invictus Gaming, Newbee, NP, DC, Infamous, iG Vitality, LGD Forever Young, LGD Gaming, TNC Pro Team, Fnatic, Execration, Team Secret, Planet Dog and Team Empire.

While $20 million plus is a lot of money it’s worth keeping in mind that the prize pool only represents 25% of the money collected.  A bit of napkin maths reveals that if Valve is pocketing the other 75%, the firm has made $60.7 million in just over two months.

Now Valve, can we please get an African qualifier for your tournaments?

[Source – Dota 2 Prize Pool Tracker]
Brendyn Lotz writes news, reviews, and opinion pieces for Hypertext. His interests include SMEs, innovation on the African continent, cybersecurity, blockchain, games, geek culture and YouTube.