Taxi strike to hit Pretoria again on Wednesday
Pretoria is bracing itself for yet another taxi strike tomorrow, after the National Taxi Alliances (NTA) announced it would be taking to the streets in the capital city.
NTA will be marching to the Department of Transport and the Office of the Presidency to present a memorandum of demands which include provisions of the National Land Transport Act, the Integrated Public Transport Network (BRT system), compensation for an operator surrendering an operating license to authorities, the Taxi Recapitalisation Programme and the public transport subsidy.
Commuters have been advised to use alternative means of transport, however previous strikes have proven to be a danger to public and private transport commuters as taxi drivers have attacked buses and cars in the areas where they were striking.
The strike will start from the Old Putco Depot in Marabastad and make its way through to the city to the Transport offices and Union Buildings.
The following streets will be affected:
- Madiba Street
- Nelson Mandela Drive
- Johannes Ramokgoase Street
Metro Police officers will deployed to monitor the march and all affected streets. Motorists are advised to avoid the affected streets and use alternative routes such as:
- Nana Sita
- Francis Baard
- Boom Street
The Gauteng Department of Education has expressed concern over the disruption of school exams by the strike. Last week Monday, during the Black Monday protests, some school kids couldn’t get to their exam venues on time and had to write their exams a bit later in secluded areas.
The department will again make provisions for tomorrow’s strike.
“All chief invigilators will assist and afford all Grade 12 learners who might arrive late an opportunity to write their final exam accordingly. The department will invoke necessary prescripts for all those learners who might not make it to the exam. Chief invigilators will also use their discretion, to accommodate learners to write at alternative centres,” it said.
Children in other grades will also be given the opportunity to write any missed exams at another time.
“It is concerning and unfortunate that, such activities continue to be organised during this critical period of examinations in the education environment, actually such activities subvert the Country. All our Grade 12 learners should be preoccupied by preparations and excelling in their work than, any other activity that is derailing their efforts and focus thereof,” MEC for Education, Panyaza Lesufi said.[Image – CC 2.0 flowcomm]