If you’ve ever played a VR game with the Oculus Rift that required both Touch controllers to be used in unison, you may want to consider this 3D printed attachment that joins two of them together.

Maker David Jacobs had this problem in Dead Effect 2 where, he tells us, minor rotations with either controller ruins your aim when using two-handed weapons.

After four design revisions he arrived at the print you can see in the gallery below. Each controller has a small dock with interlocking leads.

These don’t just slot together but also have metal brackets that are attracted to magnets sunken into the plastic, allowing you to detach when you need to use each controller separately.

Jacobs tells us that the total print time for the setup is 12 hours, done on a LulzBot TAZ 6 at 0.2mm with the finished parts measuring in at 296 X 35 X 81 millimetres.

To make your own start with the free files hosted on Thingiverse. While you’re there make sure you read over the instructions as they provide a bill of materials for the other parts you’ll need aside from filament. Using the links provided you’ll be paying $38.37 plus shipping

Jacobs has given us a breakdown of the process that went into making his design. He also adds that he’s been testing it out in Onward, Pavlov and Fallout 4 VR, which now uses two-handed scoped weapons.

[In Dead Effect 2] You regularly need to go from two-handed guns back to independent hands in order to switch weapons, control switches, and solve puzzles. I decided to make my own design and I created version 1. This version was 2 pieces, required the controllers to be taped in, and had a bar that slides into a slot to keep the controllers together.

While this design had many issues, it still made a huge, immediate improvement to gameplay.

I developed version 2 immediately and it had magnets glued on the wedge design. Again, it was a big improvement from version 1, but aligning the magnets correctly was sometimes difficult.

I played using version 2 until January of 2018 when I decided to finish the design. I then came up with version 3 where there are magnets on one side, steel brackets on the other, and screws were used instead of glue.

I found that it was difficult to print this design in two pieces with the quality I wanted so I split the design into 4 pieces. This resulted in the final version 4.

Previous 3D Prints of the Day: