Applications for 2019 admissions into Gauteng schools have been open since last week Monday.
So far the Gauteng Department of Education (GDE) has received in excess of 200 000 submissions for parents hoping to get their children placed at a school before 2019 applications close.
The MEC Panyaza Lesufi, as well as the GDE, has this week reiterated that parents must use the online admission system or risk losing a place for their child.
Note, online submissions are only applicable to learners entering Grade 1 and Grade 8 for the first time.
To submit applications parents need to head to the GDE Admissions website here.
After reading the Terms and Conditions click Continue and you will be moved on to the next screen. Here parents must submit their details including address and cell phone number. Adding a cell phone number is vital as the GDE says that this will serve as the basis for its communication with the parent.
From here parents will be prompted to create a username and password. “The Password must be eight (8) characters long consisting of a Capital Letter, Small Letters, Numbers and a Special Character, for example, [email protected],” says the GDE. Just, please don’t use the password in the example.
Parents should then receive an SMS from the department confirming the username and password they created.
From there parents will be asked to submit the details of the learner. As one might expect you cannot progress further through the system until these details have been furnished.
Once that has been done parents will be met with a new feature – the ability to select a school rather than having to deal with whichever school the department feels is best suited for them.
Parents can provide either a work or home address and the system will populate the list with schools near to those addresses. It’s a small touch but a rather smart one we must admit.
Note that once an address has been submitted it cannot be edited.
There is also an option where parents can select schools where the learner’s siblings may already be attending.
Once all details have been provided the parent will receive a Waiting List number. There are three different types of Waiting List numbers parents should take note of:
- WA – Applicant qualifies for placement at the school applied to in terms of on the admissions criteria
- WB – Applicant does not qualify for placement at the school applied to in terms of the admissions criteria and should apply to a school where the waiting list will be WA
- WAB – The system cannot identify the address. In this case the school will calculate the distance from the address provided to the school to ensure that the learner is not disadvantaged
Once a WA waiting list number has been received parents then have seven school days in which to submit the following documents:
- Birth certificate of learner
- Proof of residence/Work address
- Legal relationship documents (if you are not the child’s natural parent)
- Immunisation documents for Grade 1 learners (against polio, measles, tuberculosis, diphtheria, tetanus and hepatitis B)
- Child’s most recent report if currently enrolled in another school
Parents have until 5th June 2018 to make submissions for admission into Gauteng schools for 2019.[Image – CC 0 Pixabay]