Gauteng education MEC Panyaza Lesufi has assured parents that the 2019 school registration portal is safe despite numerous attempts to hack the site last week.

The online registration portal for the 2019 school year went live last week but it was not without issues. At the weekend EWN reported that as many as 800 attempts were made to hack the site since it went live.

“We are using one of the reliable institutions to carry our servers and there is no way that that server can be hacked and we just want to warn those people that they must not waste their time, there is no way that that server can be hacked,” Lesufi was reported as saying.

The MEC also took time to assure parents that the portal is safe.

Full up?

While cybercriminals appear to have been addressed, Lesufi did mention that there are several complaints about schools claiming to be full when parents submit their relevant documents.

“The only thing we’re picking up is the complaints from parents that some of the schools are even reluctant to take their documents because they’re told the schools are full even before they could take those documents. It’s something we’re working around as a team to rectify,” Lesufi said according to The Huffington Post.

The spokesperson for the Department of Basic Education, Elijah Mhlanga also warned parents that they must submit registrations through the portal and not directly to the school.

Despite these small problems, Lesufi says that registrations for the 2019 school year are going well. By last week Friday as many as 200 000 applications had been received through the portal.

[Image – CC 0 Pixabay]