At the weekend the Sunday Times reported that the SABC would cut its staff by as much as 33 percent.
The job cuts would reportedly form part of the SABC’s turnaround strategy. This would also include closing down five SABC offices around South Africa.
Following this report the SABC has refuted the claims made.
“The SABC would like to put it on record that it does not have any plans to retrench staff and the journalist only inquired about the preconditions in relation to the SABC’s application for funding from National Treasury,” SABC media officer, Vuyo Mthembu told EWN speaking about the Sunday Times report.
While retrenchments are not being discussed there is currently a skills audit at the SABC, though this is being conducted in relation to staff optimisation.
“Right now there’s a skills audit under way and I would not be able to talk to those numbers which are in the report. The process is underway, I wouldn’t want to put a date to it but once that process if finalised, there definitely will be engagement with various stakeholders in terms of the way forward,” Mthembu added.
The public broadcaster also said that it was only asked questions about the 11 conditions required by the National Treasury to grant it funding.
Last week communications minister Stella Ndabeni-Abrahams said that the SABC would receive interim financial relief within the next few weeks.
Indeed the SABC has been in financial dire straits since last year but it has said that South Africa should let the funding application be finalised so as not to create panic at the SABC.[Source – SABC] [Image – CC BY SA 2.0 warrenski]