While we await Samsung’s latest device, the Galaxy Note 10, one of the South Korean manufacturer’s more troubled offerings has a new release date. Yes, the Galaxy Fold and in particular its rather fragile folding display has been improved, according to Samsung, and will be launching sometime in September.
This comes after a few delays in the release of the foldable phone which was shown off near the beginning of the year, but a couple of weeks before its launch in select regions, several reviewers began noticing issues with the screen.
This included the protective film that Samsung placed on the foldable screen peeling off quite easily, as well as dust affecting the integrity of the display specifically at the hinge portion of the Galaxy Fold.
These issues have seemingly been addressed by the company, with a blog post noting the improvements as follows:
- The top protective layer of the Infinity Flex Display has been extended beyond the bezel, making it apparent that it is an integral part of the display structure and not meant to be removed.
- Galaxy Fold features additional reinforcements to better protect the device from external particles while maintaining its signature foldable experience:
- The top and bottom of the hinge area have been strengthened with newly added protection caps.
- Additional metal layers underneath the Infinity Flex Display have been included to reinforce the protection of the display.
- The space between the hinge and body of Galaxy Fold has been reduced.
Whether these improvements do indeed lead to a better user experience and enhanced build quality of the Galaxy Fold remains to be seen.
It should be interesting to see whether the changes lead to an increase in the original $1 980 (United States) price tag. As for the release date, a definite date has not been mentioned in September, nor has the launch countries.
With Samsung Mobile South Africa set to hold a local event for the Galaxy Note 10 on 7th August, hopefully more information on the Fold will be forthcoming, including a release date and price.