With 2019 now firmly behind us there is no better time to look back at the previous year of agile development in South Africa to see what happened over the last 12 months, what can be improved and what the plan is for 2020.

Independent management consulting firm IQbusiness has released its 2019 State of Agile SA Report to address exactly this topic and it has proved quite the interesting read.

This report is based on a questionnaire sent out and completed by hundreds of agile practitioners together with a select amount of interviews with key company representatives.

The first big takeaway here is the functional area that the respondents were involved in. A whopping 79 percent are from IT, which is no surprise given that agile started as an approach to software development. That being said its concepts have been applied to overall business agility which is where the remaining 21 percent is reflected.

Business is the second most represented functional area at 13 percent, and shared services with 8 percent. Shared services is made up of HR, finance facilities and marketing.

While the functional area of respondents is interesting, the primary industries they are involved in may prove equally important. Here financial services was the top contender at 57 percent, and second and third place of insurance and software development both taking 10 percent.

Retail, telecommunication, professional services and health account for 6 percent, 5 percent, 3 percent and 2 percent respectively. The remaining 8 percent falls into the “other” category which doesn’t fit neatly into the other groupings.

Another overwhelming majority in the report comes from employment type with 82 percent coming from respondents working at a company at the time of the report, and the remaining 18 percent coming from freelancing or consulting.

For more information on the 2019 State of Agile SA Report, make sure to give it a proper read. With all those numbers, statistics and graphs in mind, it may be difficult to apply them to your endeavours.

This is where monday.com comes into the picture. This agile software suite takes you entire workflow and consolidates it into one comprehensive package that is completely customisable.

While IT professionals are still the most represented when it comes to agile in South Africa, the easy to use UI and drag-and-drop nature of monday.com means that any team member from any department can get up and running with it in a relatively short amount of time, regardless of what their background is.

As this service is a blank slate for you to populate according to your work, what industry you are involved in doesn’t matter, nor does the size of your company. If you’re a lone wolf freelancer or one part of a vast team, this option is scalable and equally effective with hundreds of users.

If you’re not convinced or you’re a startup where every cent is crucial, monday.com offers a free trial period so you can have a completely different workflow experience without spending. The payment plans after that are also variable by features and user count, so you only pay for what you need.

Hypertext creates relevant business and consumer technology content for our readers. We live at the crossroads of invention, culture, mobile, 3D printing and more, where the greatest ideas of today inspire the innovations of tomorrow.