Following three weeks without loadshedding, Eskom announced on Sunday that power cuts would return this week.
For now loadshedding will be implemented at Stage 1 from 09:00 until 23:00 on Monday.
As of 19:20 on Sunday, unplanned breakdowns and outages sat at 11 700MW with planned maintenance accounting for 4 963MW not being available.
“It is envisaged loadshedding may continue to be implemented until Thursday. This is due to a number of units still on unplanned breakdowns, which will only return during the course of the week,” Eskom wrote in a power alert.
The utility also said that it needs to rebuild emergency reserves which it relied on to keep the lights on toward the end of last week.
By implementing loadshedding Eskom says it will be in a better position to meet the rising demand for electricity during the week.
With that having been said, Eskom has asked South Africans to assist it in reducing demand.
“Demand has also incrementally risen since January, putting pressure on the ageing fleet. We urge every South African to co-operate in managing electricity consumption with care to help us minimize [sic] loadshedding,” said Eskom.