The Jakes Gerwel Fellowship is looking for students to join its 2021 cohort. Nominations for next year’s intake are now open, with those currently in Matric earmarked to join. The Fellowship is also focused with students wanting to embark on a career in the education or teaching field.
That said, the cohort is not solely for Grade 12 students, with those on a gap year or their third year of tertiary study also qualifying.
“We believe that by discovering and empowering the right candidates through our Fellowship programme, we can nurture expert teachers and education leaders who will innovate and drive change to transform the South African education landscape,” the institution adds.
Those interested should be aware of the requirements for applying:
- Belief in the classroom as a vehicle for social change
- Intention to study an undergraduate degree at the University of Cape Town or University of Pretoria, followed by a Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE)
- Minimum 65 percent average for final Grade 11 results (excluding Life Orientation)
- Applicants must be under the age of 23 at the application deadline (20th July 2020)
- Demographic diversity is a founding principle
- South African ID number
If you’re concerned about the age limit, the institution is widening that parameter for the 2021 cohort.
“This year we are also accepting applications from third-year students, or graduates under 30, who are planning to complete their PGCE in 2021,” the Fellowship says.
There is also an added incentive for those who nominate a student.
“Should your candidate be successful in their application and begin their studies at either institution in 2021, we will send you R1000. If you work at their high school, we will send your school R1000 as well,” the Fellowship adds.
Those interested in nominating or applying, can head to the Jakes Gerwel Fellowship website, here.[Image – Photo by Carlos Arthur M.R on Unsplash]