Events around the world have either been put on hold, cancelled out-right or moved online in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The second major consumer tech event of the year, MWC 2020, was cancelled a week before its scheduled opening day and since then many more event organisers have followed suit.
Late last night, however, we noted a strange tweet from the IFA Berlin Twitter account.
We assumed that the event would be cancelled as it takes place in September and the German government has banned events of more than 5 000 people until October 2020.
That, however, is not the case as IFA has said that the event will be going ahead, only, we have no idea how it will go ahead.
Rather than saying it will present the event digitally, IFA has said it will present the show with “an innovative new concept”.
While we don’t know what that means yet, IFA’s organisers are glad that there is now clear regulatory framework it can use to create this “innovative new concept”.
“We expected this development given the constantly evolving pandemic and appreciate that we have now a clear regulatory framework that enables us, our partner Messe Berlin, and our exhibitors to make detailed plans for IFA 2020,” said chairman of the supervisory board of gfu Consumer and Home Electronics, Hans-Joachim Kamp.
Discussions regarding how to host the event have been going for several weeks already and plans for the event will be announced in the near future.
Our imagination is running wild at the moment as to what IFA 2020 has in store but we’re also tempering our expectations as it could end up being a series of live streams.
#IFA20: Set for an innovative concept designed for unprecedented times.
IFA Berlin is set to go ahead in 2020, but with an innovative new concept, following the decision by the Berlin government to ban all events with more than 5,000 participants until 24 October 2020.
— IFA Berlin (@IFA_Berlin) April 21, 2020