If you’re the kind of person who hates made up holidays and themed days then turn around now because Pokémon has declared the first day of July “Bidoof Day”.
For those unfamiliar Bidoof is a Pokémon introduced in generation four that has gone on to become a firm fan favourite. Bidoof is based on a beaver and became well known for several reasons. It and its evolution Bibarel were used by players extensively in the games for their access to important HMs and Bidoof became a meme unto itself because it’s not very good in battles, but it is cute.
As for what Bidoof Day actually means, several official arms of Pokémon are running events or offering exclusive content based on the beaver.
These have been announced sporadically in the last few days so we’ve got a handy list right here for your convenience:
• Bidoof’s Big Day episode streaming on Pokémon TV until 2nd July [Click here]
• Bidoof Breakout event and other bonuses in Pokémon Go today only [Click here]
• Free gems in Pokémon Masters EX [Click here]
• Free deck box, card sleeves and coin in Pokémon Trading Card Game Online (PTCGO) until 7th July [Click here]
• Bidoof clothing sold through the Pokémon Center [Click here]
• Bidoof gif gallery on Giphy [Click here]
• Official screenprinted posters until 5th July [Click here]
It should be noted here that, because of time zone differences, some of these events and offers aren’t live yet. The official clothing line on the Pokémon Center, for example, isn’t available just yet at the time of writing.
On the other side of the coin the free content in PTCGO, for example, is available already.
We also suspect that there will be more announcements as the day goes on. It’s still before noon here in South Africa and much of Pokémon’s largest market – America – is still asleep.
The official Pokémon Twitter account, when it’s not posting fancams, is the best place to watch today should more content be announced.
bidoof fancam pic.twitter.com/JBHyyyYU2r
— Pokémon @ #BidoofDay (@Pokemon) April 1, 2021